Thursday, February 22, 2007

Fucking Army Times



It was supposed to be a good night. I went shopping, I bought my shoes and a necklace for the Brigade Ball. I get home, David is sitting in bed working on the laptop, I get ready for bed and join him. I see he has the new Army Times issue, for those who aren't familiar with the publication it's an Army-type newspaper that is published weekly. I see that he hasn't begun to read it, so I open it up and dig in. I love to read anything...remember? I'm going through it, and I come across a familiar name, and I read it out loud "SFC Allen M." and then I realize what I just read. It was his obituary, David hadn't even realized what it was yet. He grabbed the paper from me and just stared with a blank, lost stare. My husband it a tough man, very stoic at times. But, I saw pain in his face, I wanted to hug him, but I couldn't. I'm not sure why. Maybe because he doesn't like to talk about Iraq, I don't know.

You see David was in the Army before as an enlisted cav scout before receiving his commission. This was one of his buddies from his scout days, when we were at Fort Hood. He was killed in Baghdad under small arms enemy fire. He was only 42, and five years away from retirement.

It just brings this shit so much closer to home. He goes back in the fall and I am scared shitless. This war is wrong, our men and women are dying everyday. I provide my utmost support for the troops, although I disagree with the War in Iraq.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, although that just doesn't seem adequate.

3 comments:

Tracie said...

Words just can't come. This is so sad. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and with David as well.

Krissi said...

Tracie is right. There are no words. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and David. *Big Hugs*

Roger That said...

I'm so sorry guys, there isn't anything else I can really say. His family is in my thoughts, as well.

Me, Me, Me

My photo
Colorado, United States
Originally from Arizona..dying to get back! Oldest of three daughters... I am a Domestic Engineer aka Mommy. Things get crazy and chaotic especially with him gone all the time...and this is my refuge. I love being home with my brood. Don't mind my complaining, it's temporary...I wouldn't have it any other way! When the spawn I call my children leave my nest, I plan on retuning to the social work field, and non-profit work.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

These Places Make Me HAPPY!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting ChelseaPaper.com
Elf Cosmetics
Shutterfly.com
Overstock.com, Inc.
Bag Borrow Or Steal, Inc.
Overstock.com Auctions

Map IP Address
Powered byIP2Location.com

Powered By Blogger
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket